VNTR's Explained
Cute pics
Funny pics
Internal Red Dwarf
My Red Dwarf Site
About Me
Favorite Links
Contact Me
Photoshop Pictures
Bullfrog Information
Bullfrog Research

I am going to try to explain in simple terms what VNTR's are and how I used them in my research. 

Every living cell contains DNA.  Only about 1 percent of DNA in humans encodes for mRNA (the precursor for proteins and other signaling molecules).  The remaining 99 percent is called "junk" DNA.  This junk has areas that contain repeated patterns.  For instance, the four building blocks of DNA (Guanine, Cytosine, Adenosine, and Thymine) may repeated with this motif: TAAGCCTA.  The number of times that this pattern repeats can vary in different individuals.  For instance, in one person, they may have ten repeats while someone else may have only seven.   

Variable Number Tandum Repeats (VNTR's) are used in cases of paternity testing, crime scene/suspect linking, and even body identification.  The number of repeats are inherited from a persons parents.  You can test several people to find out if they are the parents. 

Lets look at some examples.

Choose a picture from the Gallery

26 and 35

Choose a picture from the Gallery

Disputed Father 1
19 and 41

Choose a picture from the Gallery

Disputed Father 2
29 and 32

Choose a picture from the Gallery

26 and 41

We can see in the above example that the child inherited the 26 repeats from its mother and the 41 repeats from its Father (Disputed Father 1). 

For the purposes of my research, I am looking at how diverse the frogs are on the island.  If the population that was introduced was small, the different number of alleles within that population would have been small.  Consequently, the diversity of the subsequent offspring would also be limited.

Enter supporting content here